When it comes to choosing high quality, fresh and properly handled fish at the grocery store or the market, we can all learn a few tricks.
For the best whole fish:
- Check for eye clarity
- Find a fish with healthy fins
- Non sticky, firm flesh = good fish
- Choose Bright red gills over dark brown red gills
- Shiny & firm scales = healthy fish
For the best filleted fish:
- Avoid cracks, breaks or pooling water in the container
- Look for flesh that's wet and glossy
- Find out when/how it was frozen (should be right after caught)
- Thaw fish slowly, in the fridge for best results
Learn more about how to choose fish here.